To be a Christian is to be a warrior.

The good soldier of Jesus Christ must not expect to find ease in this world: it is a battle-field.

Neither must he reckon upon the friendship of the world; for that would be enmity against God.

His occupation is war.

May 10, 2012

The Spiritual Battle



Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand
against the WILES of the devil.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities,
against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world,
against SPIRITUAL WICKEDNESS in high places.
Ephesians 6:10-12



In the words of those…

who have fought on the front lines…

and in the trenches…

hazarding their lives…

for the sake of the gospel.


These did NOT shrink back…

nor cower in fear…

though they faced large numbers…

of a formidable enemy.


They recognized…

that the souls of men, women and children…

hang in the balance …

against time…

Faithful Saints of the Living God …

forsaking the world…

to embrace the CROSS…

and advance the TRUTH!


Pioneers of the Christian faith…

share their wisdom…


PETER :  Martyred, crucified upside down , about 67 AD. *

For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.  1 Peter 2:19-20

But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.  1 Peter 3:14-16

Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.  1 Peter 4:12-14


JAMES :  Martyred, at the age of ninety-four he was beat and stoned by the Jews; and finally had his brains dashed out with a fuller's club, approx. 62 AD.  *

Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.  James 5:10-11


JUDE : Martyred, crucified, about 72 AD. *

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. Jude 1:3

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.  Jude 1:20-23


PAUL : Martyred, after his great travail and unspeakable labors in promoting the Gospel of Christ, suffered also in this first persecution under Nero, gave his neck to the sword, about 68 AD.*     

Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.  2 Corinthians 11:24-27

Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.  2 Timothy 2:3-5

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;  Philippians 3:7-10

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  Philippians 4:11-13

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.  2 Timothy 4:5-8




The spiritual battle we face as Christians is REAL!

The principalities, powers and rulers of darkness that we face are REAL!

Our enemies are serious about fighting this spiritual battle.

WE should be serious about fighting this battle.


It’s not the way of ease…but the way of TRUTH!






Are you in the battle or sitting on the sidelines?


* Foxe's Book of Martyrs

1 comment: